What is Radon

Radon is an odorless, colorless and tasteless naturally occurring radioactive gas that is in the air you breathe and the water you use for drinking, bathing and cooking. At high levels it is a serious health hazard. Radon is a sneaky gas. Just as you can’t see it, smell it or taste it, it also gives you no warning that it is harming your health. There’s no rash or headache or fever. Radon causes lung cancer, which often presents no symptoms until it is advanced. The only way to be safe from radon-related lung cancer is to test for radon and have the radon mitigated if the level is above 4.0 pCi/L. Studies have presented compelling evidence that radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers – and that smokers who are exposed to high radon levels are 10 times more likely to get lung cancer. The National Cancer Institute says that radon is associated with 15,000 to 22,000 lung cancer deaths each year.

How does Radon get into my home?

Radon gas can seep into your home from the soil beneath it through dirt crawlspaces, cracks in the foundation and walls, floor drains, pipes and sump pumps. If you get your drinking water from a well, it can also be a source of radon in your home.

Should I fix Radon myself?

Don’t forget that Radon is a radioactive gas. Fixing your home is best left to a professional.

Afederal Home Inspections is here to help!

Your recently purchased home should be tested for your safety. We here at Afederal Home Inspections are ready to assist you. Call us or contact us if you suspect you have Radon in your home. We’ll do the testing for you and guarantee that you’ll get accurate assessment that will keep you and your family safe.